Dr. Al-Timimi follows safe mercury-amalgam fillings removal which consists of the following steps:
- Use of rubber dam (rubber shield) to isolate the tooth/teeth being worked on so that the broken pieces of the amalgam fillings are not ingested by the patient.
- Use of oxygen mask which covers the patient’s nose to prevent inhaling the mercury vapors.
- Use of mercury-vapor vaccum during the removal process (typically positioned few inches above the patient’s head). This vaccum unit is made specifically for cleaning the air from mercury vapors.
- During the removal process, continuous stream of water is used to cool down the mercury-amalgam fillings which helps in reducing the amount of vapors released.
- During the removal process, Dr. Al-Timimi and her assistants wear specific masks for mercury vapors.